Our vision is to see ‘young people transformed through creativity, community, confidence and finding their voice’
Create Paisley began in response to local young people looking for a safe, inspiring space. At the time, there were so many capable, creative young people. Create formed as a partnership between local churches, youth leaders and YWAM and set up a monthly open-mic night.
In May 2009, 40 young people showed up to our first event and every month more and more young people began to attend. As well as our open-mic night, Create began to offer creative workshops and gave spaces for young people to have their say and shape where Create would go.
In 2011, we changed our focus from running one big event every few weeks to supporting young people throughout the month. We wanted to be present in the lives of young people and meet them where they were at. So we moved to offering regular arts workshops, youth mentoring, a youth forum and a fortnightly open-mic drop in.
Create became a charity (SCIO) in October 2012 with the goal of increasing our support for young people and being able to offer more opportunities that fit our vision for a better Paisley.
The values of Create Paisley are derived from a Christian worldview that is rooted in our understanding of who God is.
- creativity. People create things all the time. A creation can be as simple as a sentence or as complex as a skyscraper. Create does not seek just to encourage people who are creative, but to tease out the creativity that’s inside everyone. Creativity is not simply a hobby, but at the core of who we are.
- empowerment. Within Create there is an understanding that power is not something to be held by the few and imposed upon the many. Rather empowerment sees the potential in everyone, and creativity can bring it to life. Everyone has a voice and something to share. They just need to find it.
- community. Create believes that people are not meant to be alone. We are made to long for meaningful relationships, and we want a community of people who work together and support, respect and inspire each other.
- love. Rather than a nice feeling or concept, we believe that love actively builds bridges between people. As Create we want to live out our love for each other, the people of Paisley and beyond. We strive to serve unreservedly, care intentionally and meet needs creatively.
- justice. We believe that every human being is created equal. We champion what’s right and stand up for the truth. We see a society where everyone has access to opportunities regardless of social standing, finances or skill level. True justice brings peace and reconciliation to individuals and communities.